Someone, out there, wants your data.
Okay I lied.
It's not just one person, it's organisations of cyber criminals who want your data.
Whilst I know that's not the assurance you wanted, it's worth stressing my point. These cyber criminals do not care about our personal lives and the destruction they cause. They only want one thing and that is your data.
If my point hasn't hit home yet, this statistic from the 2019 Cyber Security Breaches Survey might just give you goosebumps...
Just under a third of British organisations experienced a data breach or cyber attack in 2019. Unfortunately, even if you managed to avoid being part of this statistic, the unwavering cyber threat is still coming for your organisation. Whilst it might sound overly dramatic and more like a zombie apocalypse than Cyber Security, the threat is certainly real. According to Ciaran Martin, the NCSC (National Cyber Security Centre) CEO, the prospect of a category-one cyberattack is not receding.
The truth is, we all need help, whether it is in life or in organisation. We could all do with a helping hand and in this case, we need all the help we can get to protect ourselves from the cyber threat which exists in the United Kingdom today.
The good news is, there is help available and it comes in the form of Cyber Essentials.
So what is Cyber Essentials?
Cyber Essentials is a cyber security certification which has been designed by the government to make it simple for you to protect your organisation against common cyber threats.
Cyber Essentials requires you to implement five technical controls. I know, there's a lot of technical phrases which can be incredibly confusing so I've created a simplified infographic for you below:
Nothing too crazy right? With these five controls in place, Cyber Essentials can begin to address your cyber security issues.
Oh and I probably should've mentioned that there's two types of Cyber Essentials certifications - Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus.
Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus
A Cyber Essentials certification shows your clients and customers that you care about your cyber security whereas Cyber Essentials Plus shows you are doing absolutely everything in your control to protect their data.
So how do you achieve Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus?
- For Cyber Essentials, your organisation would need to complete a self assessment questionnaire which is then independently reviewed by an external certifying body.
- Cyber Essentials Plus has the same requirements as Cyber Essentials, except the system tests are carried out by an external certifying body.
It's important to know the difference between the two Cyber Essentials certifications as it can help you decide which certification is best for your organisation.
What is the price of Cyber Essentials?
- Cyber Essentials is priced at £299 per annum.
- Before achieving Cyber Essentials Plus, a pre assessment (£1499) is recommended to ensure you pass Cyber Essentials Plus which is priced at £1499.
- You may be wondering "Is Cyber Essentials worth it?" and this ultimately depends on your organisation.
By gaining a Cyber Essentials certification, you do a lot more than just protect yourself from the Cyber threat.
Benefits of the Cyber Essentials certification:
- As I've mentioned, the cyber threat to your organisation is real and frankly, quite scary. With a Cyber Essentials certification, you will reduce this cyber threat by approximately 80%.
- With a Cyber Essentials certification, you will gain respect and enhance your reputation as your organisation will be seen as a organisation who focus, prioritise and care about data. Believe me, your clients will look at you differently when they realise you actually care about their data.
- Without a Cyber Essentials certification, you automatically take yourself out of the conversation for Government contracts, as you are legally required to have Cyber Essentials to be able to bid for these contracts. Can you imagine being able to land that Government contract?
There are many benefits that come from Cyber Essentials, click here to see the 10 ways Cyber Essentials could benefit your organisation.
Where can I learn more?
Don't worry, I've got you covered (so does Cyber Essentials!).
The Ultimate Guide to Cyber Essentials' will give you peace of mind and ensure every question you've ever had around Cyber Essentials is answered. Oh and yes, it's free of course.